In consumer packaged goods (CPG), shopper marketing — efforts to observe and influence consumers at the time of purchase — is one of the hottest and fastest-growing activities in advertising and promotions. Shopper marketing includes in-store shelf displays, digital kiosks, shopping list apps, e-coupons, and more, all of which generate digital data that marketers can use to further refine their pitches. In a recent Booz & Company survey of senior CPG executives, 83 percent of respondents said their companies plan to increase their investments in shopper marketing, and a majority (55 percent) ranked it as their number one investment, with plans to boost spending more than 5 percent per year, followed close behind by several forms of online media spending, while traditional, offline activities are in decline.
Welcome to strategy+business. Here’s what’s new.
Most Popular on s+b
- 1.Roger Martin’s Required Reading
- 2.Millennials Play the Long Game
- 3.Help, I Need Somebody (at the Office)
- 4.Who Are Your High-Potential Employees?
- 5.10 Principles of Change Management
- 6.20 Questions for Business Leaders
- 7.The Future of Management Is Teal
- 8.The Key to Greece’s Recovery? Strategic Management
- 9.A Blueprint for Forays into Emerging Markets
- 10.Leaps in Perspective