This third article in a series on balanced purchasing focuses on target costing and recommends a five-step process to optimize the cost of product designs still in development. A hypothetical development effort for a sports watch is used to demonstrate the process. If carried out properly and at the right level of detail, target costing can insure competitiveness without jeopardizing supplier cooperation.January 1, 1997
Welcome to strategy+business. Here’s what’s new.
Most Popular on s+b
- 1.10 Principles of Change Management
- 2.Paychecks with a Purpose
- 3.The Next Generation of Social Media in the Office
- 4.Why Pictures are Worth a Thousand Words
- 5.The Fortune 500 Teller
- 6.Why Business Books Still Speak Volumes
- 7.Can Networking at the Office Become Too Much of a Good Thing?
- 8.Best Business Books 2015
- 9.The Search for Hidden Talent Treasures
- 10.Why China’s Stock Market Crisis Spread