Young firms are valued significantly higher and attract more financing after their founders relinquish some power.
- s+b BlogsInvestors appreciate hearing about a new CEO’s strategic vision, and they respond by bidding up the stock price.
- s+b BlogsCompanies that receive awards for product design see an immediate uptick in stock price.
- s+b BlogsPopular commercials aired during the big game can drive up a firm’s stock price, but only if the brand is relatively unknown or has a flagging reputation.
- s+b BlogsActivist groups’ ideological stance, as well as a company’s own characteristics, shape the types of strategies used to effect change.
- s+b BlogsConsumers who use mobile apps tend to make more-frequent purchases, spend less per transaction, and return items more often than those who don’t.
- s+b BlogsAlthough manufacturers can derive some short-term benefits from unauthorized retailers, outright bootlegging is harmful to profits and reputation.
- s+b BlogsFor companies, sustaining a consistently high level of performance requires unique capabilities that may differ sharply from the strategies they used to succeed in the first place.
- s+b BlogsProfit warnings not only hurt a company’s domestic rivals, but also international competitors, and can cause industry-wide investor skittishness.
- s+b BlogsThe number of women presiding over large companies still lags far behind men, yet the firms they lead tend to be more risk averse and more profitable over the long term.
- s+b BlogsWhen it comes to consumer goods, infrequent purchasers, not faithful customers, seem to drive market-share growth.
- s+b BlogsCompanies with employee-friendly policies produce more patents, which shareholders highly value and result in long-term financial benefits.
- s+b BlogsInternational partnerships can put parties at odds, but there are ways for smaller firms to avoid common conflicts and stick up for themselves.
- s+b BlogsThe use of humor in job listings posted on the Internet can grab people’s attention, but it may turn them off to the actual job and company being advertised.
- s+b BlogsShifting from physical to virtual data platforms can reduce companies’ costs and improve sustainability.
- s+b BlogsManagers can recognize and mitigate the stress experienced by employees responsible for “necessary evils” such as laying off colleagues.
- s+b BlogsBeing recognized as an international brand is usually a decided competitive advantage. But some markets and certain consumers prefer local firms.
- s+b BlogsCustomers who don’t hit the target to qualify for a reward are apt to hold it against the company and make fewer subsequent purchases.
- s+b BlogsWith manufacturing put into the hands of small firms and even consumers, traditional value chains may no longer be as advantageous.