Here are the three key challenges that survey respondents said they face in delivering IT services as their businesses globalize, and the best practices for overcoming them.
Cost Pressures: “How do I provide a full suite of standard IT services given the desire of corporate management to keep expenses down in emerging markets and low-cost countries?”
Companies that have successfully addressed this problem don’t tie IT funding to the site’s P&L — instead it is managed from a central IT budget and allocated by site or business division, thus securing adequate funding for new sites and ensuring funds will be available to refresh and reconfigure the site over time. Meanwhile, establishing a centrally planned, standard global enterprise architecture that is configured with built-in flexibility for regional or country-specific requirements helps keep costs low while also accommodating specific local needs.
Standardization: “How should I design solutions that adhere to the corporate architecture and standards? What corporate IT structures are appropriate for supporting entry into new global markets?”
Multinational parent companies should mandate that the IT organization and its far-flung partners participate in a global governance forum, in which participants agree on global security and data standards, share configuration management data, and address proposed global system changes that would affect joint venture partners. Establishing clear standards reduces cost pressure while improving security.
Security: “How can my organization provide a secure IT environment in a joint venture?”
Security-conscious CIOs said they engage in ongoing risk management planning, separate from the governance forum, and use a global governance panel for major regional proposals or changes. Adequate investment in data security is essential, especially in advanced, high-value-added processes such as R&D and product development.
Often, a proliferation of standards leads to security problems. Say a joint venture plant has 80 percent of its network-connected machines operating with a particular set of security standards, and the other 20 percent with conflicting standards. An IT manager might not even know which machines are which, resulting in a plant pocked with security holes. Add the usual lack of an IT security reporting and response process, and the plant becomes a security sieve. “I know there are some holes out there in the ‘Wild West’ of our joint ventures,” one CIO said. “And I can’t control them because I often don’t know about the connections in the first place.”
Frequently, the obstacles to effective IT implementation are cultural rather than financial. Different countries have distinctly different approaches to computerization and the way they purchase hardware and software. As one CIO put it, “Being aware of country-specific dynamics — social, economic, business — remains an enormous challenge for IT managers, particularly in the planning phase for initial implementations in establishing IT operations.”
Taken as a whole, though, maintaining standard architectures and providing IT services at what seem like unrealistically low costs presents the most significant challenge to CIOs involved in overseas joint ventures. Greater attention to the issue from the CEO and other top corporate managers is essential if the CIO is to transform IT from a back office afterthought into a strategic asset, and it will help ensure that overseas joint ventures succeed, even in tough times.
Mike Cooke is a partner with Booz & Company in Chicago. He leads the firm’s IT transformation service offering, with a focus on automotive, transportation, and industrial products companies.
Marc Johnson is an associate with Booz & Company in McLean, Va. He specializes in IT transformation and effectiveness for automotive, transportation, and industrial products companies.