While automakers pour millions into winning the autonomous vehicle race, they run the risk of ignoring the more imminent threats that could sink them before the technology becomes pervasive.
Welcome to strategy+business. Here’s what’s new.
Auto, Airlines & Transport
- Startup nuTonomy thinks that the island nation is the place to make autonomous vehicles — in the form of driverless taxis — a reality.
- s+b BlogsA new survey examines trends in R&D spending.
- s+b BlogsWhy we shouldn’t expect the price of air travel to fall just because jet fuel is cheaper.
- As the demand for connected car features increases, automakers could see an increase in revenue as high 204 percent over the next five years.
- A celebrated proprietor of R&D ateliers explains how companies can cultivate the rare people who create miracles.
- Management guru Rosabeth Moss Kanter urges the private sector to invest in the U.S. transportation system.
- s+b BlogsHonda’s practice of learning from errors had to change when failure became deadly.
- Before industrial companies sell assets, they must understand the motivations of the full array of potential buyers, especially those emerging in the East.
- s+b BlogsThe top-ranked executive coach recommends four books that will make you a better leader.
- s+b BlogsIn a new biography of the brothers who invented the airplane, David McCullough describes the frustrations and triumphs involved in getting aviation off the ground.
- Five ways automakers can design for safety and profitability.
- s+b BlogsEmerging economies are poised to attract tourism’s most lucrative niche market.
- s+b BlogsIn this turbulent energy environment, only a few companies will be focused enough to win.
- The benefits of the glut are being distributed unevenly.
- As more products and their parts can be made locally, the need to ship them to market will be reduced.
- s+b BlogsChinese and foreign automakers are preparing to compete in the low-end car market.
- At the Japanese auto giant, unplanned, agenda-free meetings are ubiquitous and indispensable.
- s+b BlogsCompanies must find a balance between the luxuries customers will pay for and the necessities they expect.
- InteractiveAutomakers are far more confident about diesel’s popularity in the U.S. than they are about hybrids or electric cars. Here's a look at the real value of diesel.