In consumer packaged goods (CPG), shopper marketing — efforts to observe and influence consumers at the time of purchase — is one of the hottest and fastest-growing activities in advertising and promotions. Shopper marketing includes in-store shelf displays, digital kiosks, shopping list apps, e-coupons, and more, all of which generate digital data that marketers can use to further refine their pitches. In a recent Booz & Company survey of senior CPG executives, 83 percent of respondents said their companies plan to increase their investments in shopper marketing, and a majority (55 percent) ranked it as their number one investment, with plans to boost spending more than 5 percent per year, followed close behind by several forms of online media spending, while traditional, offline activities are in decline.
Welcome to strategy+business. Here’s what’s new.
Most Popular on s+b
- 1.Siemens CEO Joe Kaeser on the Next Industrial Revolution
- 2.Creating a Strategy That Works
- 3.10 Principles of Change Management
- 4.In Search of Ingenuity
- 5.China’s Philosopher-CEO Zhang Ruimin
- 6.How to Grow into an Original Person
- 7.The Haier Road to Growth
- 8.Why Distinctive Customer Targeting Is a Smart Strategy
- 9.Enterprise Architecture Planning 2.0
- 10.Why It Makes Sense for Managers to Go Slow to Go Fast