To serve online shoppers effectively, companies need to make complex trade-offs among speed, variety, and convenience.
Welcome to strategy+business. Here’s what’s new.
- Don’t underestimate the power of choosing a unique definition of the customers your company will serve.
- The most farsighted enterprises have mastered five unconventional practices for building and using distinctive capabilities.
- The fastest-growing marketing channel is the voice telephone — especially when it turns solving a problem into making a sale.
- Use your purchasing power for good.
- The beverage alcohol world is ripe for disruption, and distributors who are willing to navigate the industry’s hurdles will find opportunities for growth.
- As growth in e-commerce slows, physical stores have an opportunity to attract customers to their doors.
- Contrary to the popular notion that consumers care for the products they own, people are more likely to act recklessly toward certain items when a more appealing upgrade reaches the market.
- Should you make your company in your own image?
- When companies “share the shelf,” everyone wins.
- This infographic provides a snapshot of the emerging wearable technology market.
- Customers always come first for this Chinese appliance maker — even as it continually reinvents itself and expands around the world.
- The CEO of a leading recreational marijuana company argues that the industry is green in more ways than one.
- The toy company thrives by understanding the deep dynamics of how consumers have fun.
- A raise for the lowest-paid workers won’t end economic inequality—but it might force other companies to rethink their compensation at the bottom.
- Large chains that compete too aggressively against small businesses may suffer the wrath of consumers.
- Luxury tourism will not be the game-changer many retailers are hoping for.
- The burger chain’s boffo business model thrives—despite paying low-wage workers more than it has to.
Most Popular on s+b
- 1.Why Distinctive Customer Targeting Is a Smart Strategy
- 2.Creating a Strategy That Works
- 3.Danaher’s Instruments of Change
- 4.10 Principles of Change Management
- 5.A Strategist’s Guide to Blockchain
- 6.Enterprise Architecture Planning 2.0
- 7.Why It Makes Sense for Managers to Go Slow to Go Fast
- 8.The Mindful Board
- 9.The Thought Leader Interview: Jonathan Haidt
- 10.Beauty Is in the Eye of the Shareholder