If you are located in the European Economic Area (EEA), you may have additional terms, conditions, and rights that are set forth in the section labeled “EEA Privacy Statement”.
Last Updated: January 15, 2019
Note, strategy+business is published by certain member firms of the global PwC network of firms. Each Member Firm in the PwC network is a separate legal entity. For further details, please see www.pwc.com/structure.
When you use or otherwise interact with our Site, we will collect information about you. We collect this information when you provide it to us and we will automatically collect information about your use of and interaction with the Site. Please note that we may be required to collect certain information about you by law or as a consequence of a contractual relationship we have with you. Failure to provide this information may prevent or delay the fulfillment of these obligations.
Information You Provide
You may provide us information about yourself, such as your name, company name, address, and email address as well as job function, level, and industry.
Note about Sensitive Information: It is not our intention to collect sensitive information about you, for example information about race or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or other similar beliefs, trade union membership, physical or mental health, sexual life, or criminal record. Please do not provide these types of sensitive information to us.
Automatically Collected Information
In addition, we automatically collect information about you and your use of our Site through the use of tracking technologies such as cookies and web beacons. The information we collect using these technologies includes IP address, browser type and language, access time, and referring website.
When we send you emails and/or newsletters, we use technologies to determine whether the message in the email or newsletter has been opened and links contained within have been clicked on. We combine information collected through these means with other information we maintain about you in order to measure interest in our specific offerings and email campaigns, improve our offerings to specific target audiences, and tailor our interactions with you.
We use the data we collect for a number of purposes, which include:
- Fulfilling your order and/or newsletter email requests
- Managing your registration and email marketing preferences
- Sending you renewal notifications and/or service notifications
- Responding to customer service requests
- Emailing you information about new features and special offers
- Conducting customer satisfaction and reader surveys
- Improving our Site, user experience, products, and services
- Developing and improving our businesses, services and offerings and in developing new PwC technologies and offerings
- Maintaining and improving our security, including fraud prevention
- Fulfilling our legal requirements, both contractual and statutory, and regulatory compliance
- Implementing our internal policies
- Abiding by professional and industry standards, as applicable
- Understanding how the Site is used and obtaining insights into usage patterns
- Exploring ways to develop and grow our business
PwC discloses data it collects through your use of this Site in a number of circumstances, including the following:
- As required by applicable law, statute, rule, regulation or professional standard, or through subpoena, search warrant, or other legal process
- For regulatory compliance purposes
- When explicitly requested by you
- When required to deliver publications or reference materials requested by you
- As part of a transfer of all or part of our assets in a merger or acquisition or other change in corporate structure
- To third-party contractors, subcontractors, subsidiaries, and/or other PwC firms for the purposes for which the visitor has submitted the information and for the administration of our systems or site and/or other internal, administrative purposes
- To third-party service providers of identity management, website hosting and management, data analysis, data backup, security, and storage services
- Or otherwise as set out in this Privacy Statement
Do Not Track
Do Not Track (“DNT”) is a privacy preference that you can set in your web browser to send a message to the website operator requesting not to be tracked. Currently, we do not respond to these DNT signals. For more information about DNT, visit https://allaboutdnt.com/.
This Site contains links to other sites that do not operate under PwC’s privacy practices. Please be aware that when you link to other websites, PwC’s privacy practices no longer apply and we are not responsible for the privacy practices of these other websites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our Site and to read the privacy statements of each and every website before disclosing any personally identifiable information. This Privacy Statement applies solely to data we collect on this Site.
We retain the data we collect about you for as long as is required for the purposes for which it was collected or as otherwise required by applicable law or professional standards.
Should you wish to unsubscribe from our mailing list or any registrations, we will provide instructions within the appropriate area of the Site or in communications to you; or you may contact our webmaster.
If you are concerned about cookies, most browsers permit individuals to decline cookies. In most cases, you may refuse or delete one or more cookies and still access the Site, but site functionality may be impaired. After you finish browsing the Site, you may delete Site cookies from your system if you wish.
Visitor updates of information should be handled by going back through the registration process. Inquiries about the accuracy of identifying information previously submitted to PwC through the Site, or requests to have outdated information removed, should be directed to our webmaster. When practically possible or legally required, if PwC is informed that any data collected through the Web Site is no longer accurate, PwC will make appropriate corrections based on the updated information provided by the authenticated visitor.
PwC has implemented generally acceptable standards of technology and operational security designed to protect information from loss, misuse, alteration, or destruction. Please be aware that no security is 100% effective. If we become aware of a security incident that requires PwC to notify you under applicable privacy laws, we may contact you at your email address.
PwC understands the importance of protecting children’s privacy, especially in an online environment. This Site is not intentionally designed for or directed at children under the age of 13 years. We do not knowingly collect or maintain any information about children under the age of 13 on this Site.
We recognize that transparency is an ongoing responsibility so we will keep this Privacy Statement under regular review. Any material changes or updates will be effective after we give notice of the change or update, which we may do by revising the “Last Updated” date above and posting a notice of the change or update on the Site, or by email or other means that provide reasonable notice. Your use of the Site after such notice is posted means that you accept these changes or updates.
If you have questions or concerns about the collection, use, or disclosure of your information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EEA PRIVACY NOTICE
The below applies to users located in the EEA. PwC is the data controller of EEA Personal Data that is submitted to or otherwise collected by PwC through this Site.
Personal Data is any information relating to an identified or identifiable living person. When “you” or “your” are used in this statement, we are referring to the relevant individual who is the subject of the personal data. PwC processes Personal Data for numerous purposes, and the means of collection, lawful basis of processing, use, disclosure, and retention periods for each purpose may differ.
Legal Basis for Processing
We rely on separate and overlapping bases to process your personal information lawfully. As described above, it may be necessary for us to process your Personal Data in certain ways in order to process a transaction you have requested or otherwise in accordance with a contract between us, or in certain cases we may process your Personal Data where necessary to further our legitimate interests, where those legitimate interests are not overridden by your rights and interests. We rely on several legitimate interests in using and sharing your Personal Data including: (1) improving and customizing our Site for you; (2) understanding how the Site is being used; (3) obtaining insights into usage patterns of the Site; (4) fulfilling registrations, newsletter requests, orders, renewals, and/or other customer service related activities; (5) exploring ways to develop and grow our business; (6) ensuring the safety and security of the Site; and (7) enhancing protection against fraud, spam, harassment, intellectual property infringement, crime and security risks.
EEA Individuals’ Rights & How to Exercise Them
In certain cases, subject to certain limitations at law, individuals have certain rights over their Personal Data and controllers are responsible for fulfilling these rights.
Individuals’ rights may include the right of access to Personal Data, to rectification of Personal Data, to erasure of Personal Data / right to be forgotten, to restrict processing of Personal Data, to object to processing of Personal Data, to data portability, the right to withdraw consent at any time (where processing is based on consent) and the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. To submit a request relating to any of these rights, please email us at email@example.com. We will respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe.
Where you have given your consent to a particular type of processing, you may withdraw your consent at any time. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide you the Services for which the processing based on your consent were necessary.
Location of Processing
As mentioned above, we are part of a global network of firms. In common with other professional service providers, we use third parties, some of which are located in other countries, to help us run our business. As a result, personal data may be transferred outside the country in which it was collected. This includes to countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and to countries that do not have laws that provide the same degree of protection for personal data. We have taken steps designed to ensure adequate protection and that transfers of personal information outside the EEA are done lawfully.
PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP and its affiliated U.S. subsidiaries adhere to the EU - U.S. Privacy Shield Framework and the Swiss - U.S. Privacy Shield Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use and retention of personal data that is transferred from the EEA, its Member States, and Switzerland to the United States. PwC has certified that it adheres to the Privacy Shield Principles within the scope of PwC’s Privacy Shield certification. To learn more, see our Privacy Shield Policy.
Where we transfer personal data outside of the EEA to a country not determined by the European Commission as providing an adequate level of protection for personal information, the transfers will be under an agreement which covers the EU requirements for the transfer of personal information outside the EU, such as standard contractual clauses. The European Commission approved standard contractual clauses are available here.
Personal data held by us may be transferred to:
- Other PwC member firms
- For details of our member firm locations, please click here.
- We may share personal data with other PwC member firms where necessary for administrative purposes and to provide professional services to our clients (e.g. when providing services involving advice from PwC member firms in different territories).
- We store personal data on our or other PwC member firm servers in the USA, EU, and Singapore. IT support and services are provided by PwC India and PwC’s IT Services company.
- Our business contacts are visible to and used by other PwC member firms to learn more about a contact, client or opportunity they have an interest in.
- Third party organisations that provide applications/functionality, data processing, email marketing, or IT services to us
- We use third parties to support us in providing our services and to help provide, run and manage our internal IT and fulfillment systems. For example, providers of information technology, cloud based software as a service providers, identity management, website hosting and management, data analysis, circulation fulfillment, email deployment, data back-up, security and storage services. The servers powering and facilitating that cloud infrastructure are located in secure data centres around the world, and personal data may be stored in any one of them.
We encourage you to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns about the collection, use, or disclosure of your information. You may also contact our EU Representative at email@example.com.