- Clearing out long-serving executives might seem a natural first step for a new CEO, but it can backfire in challenging times.
- February 13, 2020 by Bobbie van der ListEfforts to dismantle cross-held shares and improve board oversight are succeeding amid heightened interest from private equity and activist investors.
- July 9, 2019 by Samantha MarshallWith a focus on transparency, Halstatt has been transformed by a matriarchal line of CEOs.
- February 11, 2019 by James O'TooleMost companies that try to do well by doing good can’t make it last. Their leaders need to think more carefully about their philosophy and governance.
- March 27, 2018 by Jeremy GrantJonathan Warburton, chairman of U.K. bakery chain Warburtons, is clear-sighted about developing family talent and attracting top managers.
- June 21, 2017 by Laura W. GellerA new study on gender and ethnic diversity in corporate governance sets off alarms.
- May 15, 2017A graphic showing why more chief executives are being ousted for ethical lapses, and some tips on how to prevent missteps. For more insight, read “Are CEOs Less Ethical Than in the Past?”
- Why more chief executives are losing their jobs after scandals and corporate misconduct. See also “CEOs under Fire.”
- April 12, 2017 by Ken FavaroThe next generation of management needs to build its strategic acumen through real-world practice.
- June 29, 2016 by Michelle GerdesIt shouldn’t be surprising that the storied food company brought in a healthcare executive as its next leader.
- June 7, 2016 by Art KleinerFor Dartmouth professor Syd Finkelstein, “glorious bastards” such as Larry Ellison, “iconoclasts” such as Alice Waters, and “nurturers” such as Jon Stewart are models for the next generation of leadership development.
- May 5, 2016 by Matt PalmquistWhen companies are run by co-CEOs, sharing power equally doesn’t necessarily translate into better results.
- Faced with volatility, more companies are looking beyond their own ranks to find new leadership. Multimedia: Take the quiz “Are You a Likely CEO?”
All articles tagged: succession planning
More PwC insights
Bold insights for bold leaders. A new series that addresses the most urgent forces facing business leaders in 2021 — and beyond. Explore the series.