Business strategy is at an evolutionary crossroads. It’s time to resolve the long-standing tension between the inherent identity of your organization and the fleeting nature of your competitive advantage.
Welcome to strategy+business. Here’s what’s new.
Issue 61, Winter 2010
In this issue
The Right to Win, The Global Innovation 1000: How the Top Innovators Keep Winning, A Better Choosing Experience, The Good, the Bad, and the Trustworthy, and More
- Booz & Company’s annual study of the world’s biggest R&D spenders shows why highly innovative companies are able to consistently outperform. Their secret? They’re good at the right things, not at everything.
- Even successful public relations is no longer enough to protect a company’s reputation.
- Francois Nader, CEO of NPS Pharmaceuticals, describes how a new model for biotech brought his company back from the brink.
- Placing a new research, design, or engineering center in emerging markets demands more than just “location, location, location.”
- How a capabilities-driven information technology strategy can help differentiate your company.
- The theory of intelligent memory suggests that companies relying on conventional creativity tools are getting shortchanged.
- For consumer durables, environmental sustainability starts with discarding conventional wisdom.
- The CEO of HCL Technologies describes how he focused his company on growth by engaging staff in unprecedented ways.
- Nervous CEOs take fewer risks.
- Apologies, especially those that admit responsibility, can lead to faster settlements and lower demands.
- Companies should adopt a moderately restrictive e-mail monitoring system, and be sure that employees fully understand it.
- A successful change management initiative requires commitment from all the organization’s leaders, not just the CEO.
- Marshall Goldsmith, author of Mojo, introduces a passage on the difficulties of balancing work and family, from You Can’t Predict a Hero, by Joseph J. Grano Jr.
Most Popular on s+b
- 1.Can Networking at the Office Become Too Much of a Good Thing?
- 2.10 Principles of Change Management
- 3.When You Get Caught Up in the Wrong Trend
- 4.Role Model Behavior
- 5.Why China’s Stock Market Crisis Spread
- 6.Uncomfortable Truths Don’t Just Go Away
- 7.The Next Generation of Social Media in the Office
- 8.The Search for Hidden Talent Treasures
- 9.Innovation’s New World Order
- 10.Why Pictures Are Worth a Thousand Words