WITH VIDEO: When a company competes on capabilities, its specialist leaders—in HR, IT, finance, and elsewhere—play a new, influential role.
Welcome to strategy+business. Here’s what’s new.
Issue 70, Spring 2013
In this issue
Designing the Right Supply Chain; Hyundai’s Capabilities Play; Beyond Functions, and More
- “Big data” can drive competitive advantage if companies follow a few timeless principles.
- Author and scenario planning expert Betty Sue Flowers dissects the attitudes and beliefs that unconsciously influence leaders.
- The structured approach to innovation favored by mature companies can’t deliver the agility and differentiation they need today.
- How government agencies can use information and communications technology to increase efficiency—and better people’s lives.
- The six integrated “supermajor” oil companies that once dominated oil and gas exploration are losing ground to independent companies.
- Why the best innovation strategies are rooted in the art of subtraction.
- A controversial financial market indicator may be able to prevent short-term crises in the modern computerized trading world.
- An innovative approach to managing product portfolios—the strong-form model—can help companies stay ahead of change.
- National efforts to expand international flows—of trade, capital, information, and people—can be a major leverage point for raising prosperity.
- A new index of countries links their future prosperity to raising the status of women.
Books in Brief
- A review of Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder, by Nassim Nicholas Taleb.
- A review of Private Empire, by Steve Coll.
- A review of Build, Borrow, or Buy, by Laurence Capron and Will Mitchell.
- A review of Why Good People Can’t Get Jobs: The Skills Gap and What Companies Can Do about It, by Peter Cappelli.
- Joining boycotts brings tactical and long-term benefits.
Most Popular on s+b
- 1.The Next Generation of Social Media in the Office
- 2.10 Principles of Change Management
- 3.Bran Ferren on the Art of Innovation
- 4.Role Model Behavior
- 5.Paychecks with a Purpose
- 6.Can Networking at the Office Become Too Much of a Good Thing?
- 7.Why Pictures are Worth a Thousand Words
- 8.Why Business Books Still Speak Volumes
- 9.Why China’s Stock Market Crisis Spread
- 10.Navigating Retail’s Last Mile