The eight components of your organizational genome hold the secret to unleashing superior performance.
Welcome to strategy+business. Here’s what’s new.
Issue 72, Autumn 2013
In this issue
An Uncommonly Cohesive Conglomerate, How Ready Are You for Growth, , The Thought Leader Interview: Loran Nordgren, and More
- By demonstrating the value of investing in the environment, conservationists can forge unexpected partnerships and reap large-scale benefits.
- Upstarts are gaining market share across consumer packaged goods categories. Here’s how incumbents can respond.
- For innovation to flourish, variation must go hand in hand with selection.
- In today’s markets, we are all salespeople.
- What happened to recorded music is about to happen to you. But only a few banks are making the right moves from branches to online services.
- As companies evolve away from traditional hierarchies, a major cultural shift is required.
- When you are selling part of your company, don’t just offer buyers a potential asset; give them the capabilities to gain value from it.
Books in Brief
- A review of Strategic Transformation: Changing while Winning, by Manuel Hensmans, Gerry Johnson, and George Yip.
- In The Alchemists, economic journalist Neil Irwin argues that the financial crisis of 2007–08 made the central bankers of the U.S., U.K., and Europe the most powerful people on earth.
- A review of The Athena Doctrine: How Women (and the Men Who Think Like Them) Will Rule the Future, by John Gerzema and Michael D’Antonio
- A review of Metaskills: Five Talents for the Robotic Age, by Marty Neumeier.
- Differing views about technology usage can hurt a company’s performance.
Most Popular on s+b
- 1.Siemens CEO Joe Kaeser on the Next Industrial Revolution
- 2.Creating a Strategy That Works
- 3.China’s Philosopher-CEO Zhang Ruimin
- 4.The Haier Road to Growth
- 5.10 Principles of Change Management
- 6.Why Distinctive Customer Targeting Is a Smart Strategy
- 7.How to Grow into an Original Person
- 8.In Search of Ingenuity
- 9.A Strategist’s Guide to Blockchain
- 10.Danaher’s Instruments of Change