In this issue
- Strategy & LeadershipEven when facing a crisis, some CEOs know how to anticipate the worst, plan a response, and navigate to advantage. You can do the same.
- Strategy & LeadershipCEO turnover is trending high, but in a more planned and stable manner.
- Strategy & LeadershipThe newest CEOs have neither the diversity nor the global backgrounds that you might expect.
- Strategy & LeadershipOne skill distinguishes the effective CEO: the ability to make disciplined and integrated choices.
- Organizations & PeopleIn today’s workplace, what goes around comes around faster, sinking takers and propelling givers to the top.
- Auto, Airlines & TransportThe obstacles to adoption are significant, but driverless technology now in development could transform long-haul trucking.
- Thought LeadersThe key to clean, reliable, and affordable energy, says Southern Company CEO Tom Fanning, is a bold and balanced approach to R&D.
- Strategy & LeadershipPractical wisdom in business comes from combining the broad view with the narrow, and opportunity with constraint.
- HealthcareEmerging economies are becoming the industry's best hope for growth.
- Global PerspectiveAt many Indian companies, the development of top management has lagged behind the pursuit of technical excellence.
- CEOs are stepping up to a new role, as leaders of their company’s thinking and behavior.
- By linking customers and capabilities, companies can generate the momentum for sustainable growth.
- To realize the digital potential of your business, bring the dynamics of a startup to scale.
- The days of the disengaged health consumer are numbered. Consumerization will transform healthcare systems, involving individuals as never before in the management of their own care.
- An eminent systems therapist says that learning to recognize the hidden patterns in conversation is the first step toward more effective executive leadership.
Books in Brief
- A review of The Org: The Underlying Logic of the Office, by Ray Fisman and Tim Sullivan.
- A review of Doing Capitalism in the Innovation Economy: Markets, Speculation, and the State, by William H. Janeway.
- A review of Makers: The New Industrial Revolution, by Chris Anderson.
- A review of The Success Equation: Untangling Skill and Luck in Business, Sports, and Investing, by Michael J. Mauboussin.
- Top leaders appointed by previous CEOs can help rein in the incumbent.