Issue 86, Spring 2017
- Strategy & LeadershipDuring a restructuring, rumors spread and fear takes hold. You can reduce the turmoil by finding ways to inform, empower, and inspire employees.
- TechnologyFor 40 years, the Stanford professor has steered the increasingly complex and meaningful interactions between humans and computers.
- FinanceWhy coherent institutions were the first to rebound after the financial crisis.
- InnovationThe tech giant’s partnership model shows how large companies can work with new ventures to drive innovation.
- Thought LeadersDuke professor Aaron Chatterji believes business leaders have social and political responsibilities they can’t afford to neglect.
- Auto, Airlines & TransportThe advent of autonomous vehicles may send the auto insurance industry over a cliff.
- s+b BlogsOrganizations & PeopleAn innovative program helps seasoned women executives — including former military officers — plan what to do next.
- Organizations & PeopleThe number of women on corporate boards is increasing — and these directors value diversity in the workforce.
- Marketing, Media & SalesThe service sector needs to break away from old manufacturing-oriented habits and build great consumer experiences into every facet of its business model.
- Strategy & LeadershipYou can identify early signs of failure or success from a prospective CEO’s behavior.
Books in Brief
- Business LiteratureVeteran journalist Joann Lublin chronicles the triumphs and travails of women rising to the C-suite.
- Business LiteratureAuthor Tim Wu argues that the Internet’s descent into clickbait and trivia is only the latest chapter in a long history of advertisers grabbing our attention.
- Business LiteratureEconomist Kenneth Rogoff argues that getting rid of paper money will lead to a more secure economy and effective monetary policy.
- Business LiteratureBeyond revenue, customers who are obsessed with a product don’t just provide valuable insight but are a conduit to new markets.
- Thought LeadersDuring the next few years, says GE Digital’s leader, the Industrial Internet will turn every company into a digitally empowered enterprise.
- s+b BlogsCompanies that receive awards for product design see an immediate uptick in stock price.