In this issue
- Organizations & PeopleToday’s employees want jobs that are intrinsically rewarding and that fit their values. And though the meaning of work is different for each person, companies that act now to address these demands will gain a lasting competitive advantage. See also “Five Ways Companies Can Give People a Good Work Experience.”
- Organizations & PeopleLinking rhetoric and reality in business transformation.
- Strategy & LeadershipMost companies that try to do well by doing good can’t make it last. Their leaders need to think more carefully about their philosophy and governance.
- Global PerspectiveGMOHow the 10 countries of the vibrant ASEAN region can avoid the threat of slower growth.
- Tech & innovationSenior executives need to lead a workforce that seamlessly blends human talent and automation.
- Tech & innovationThe story of how one organization helped the chronically homeless demonstrates the inherent value of observation, empathy, and perseverance.
- Thought leadersPeloton’s bikes may be stationary. But as CEO John Foley tells us, the company is on the move.
- StrategyA new study shows that alliances and joint ventures are on the rise worldwide.
- Organizations & peopleMany companies support resource groups that bring people together, but stop short of assessing their value.
- Tech & innovationIn their new book, Reid Hoffman and Chris Yeh explain why it often makes sense to prioritize growth over efficiency.
- Tech & innovationCompanies that have the digital aspiration of fundamentally changing their operating model can face disruption head-on.
- Consumer & retailProfound changes are closing the gap between the world’s poorest consumers and others, offering an unprecedented opportunity for businesses to create — and share in — prosperity. For more insight, see “Changes to the Fortune at the Bottom of the Pyramid.”
Books in Brief
- Business booksIn his new book, economist Joel Waldfogel argues that digitization is ushering in a golden age for both producers and consumers of entertainment.
- Business booksScott Belsky’s new book offers inspiration to leaders slogging through the life span of a successful business.
The Thought Leader Interview
- Daniel Hulme, CEO of the AI solutions startup Satalia, offers other chief executives a primer on the technology that will shape the future of work and business.
- s+b BlogsTo deter turnover, managers can watch for the behaviors that employees exhibit when they are considering leaving.