Issue 88, Autumn 2017
In this issue
- Global PerspectiveToday’s economic and political upheavals reflect an ongoing misalignment between business and economies (on the one hand) and acceptable societal outcomes (on the other). There is still time to adjust, if we are willing to reexamine some long-held assumptions.
- TechnologyTools and techniques to ensure your company will stand out in the new age of digitization. See also “A Guide to Leading the Next Industrial Revolution.”
- Global PerspectiveThe law professor who brought behavioral science into public policy believes that with a little intervention, we can all have the freedom to choose wisely.
- Strategy & LeadershipGMOSix years ago, two executives new to their jobs led the strategic transition that remade McGraw-Hill into S&P Global.
- Consumer ProductsHow to capitalize on the boom in craft liquors.
- Organizations & PeopleCorporate inclusion programs often trigger an us-versus-them mind-set. But establishing shared goals can help get teams on track.
- Thought LeadersThe IMD professor describes how the accelerating pace of technological change puts new pressures on established companies.
- InnovationInvestment in agricultural R&D is essential to feeding the world’s growing population.
- HealthcareFraudulent products are booming in the global economy. And although we hear a lot about fake handbags, watches, and other luxury goods, counterfeit drugs are far more common.
- TechnologyFaced with organizational challenges, more and more companies are hiring an executive to manage their digital transformation.
- InnovationDiscoveries surrounding a new class of impossibly small and improbably powerful compounds could reshape the materials industry — and the world around us.
Books in Brief
- Business LiteratureIn a new memoir, Wall Street veteran Sallie Krawcheck recalls her career and her evolution into an entrepreneur and advocate for women in the workplace.
- Business LiteratureIn his new book, Daniel McGinn investigates the ways people prepare themselves to perform, taking us beyond the clichés of yoga poses, centering exercises, and nap rooms.