Booz & Company’s annual study of the world’s biggest corporate R&D spenders finds that most companies have stuck with their innovation programs despite the recession — and many are boosting spending to compete more effectively in the upturn.
Welcome to strategy+business. Here’s what’s new.
Issue 57, Winter 2009
In this issue
Integrated Innovation at Pitney Bowes, On Peter Drucker’s Centennial, The Most Powerful Paths to Profits, and More
- Why the impact of this preeminent, farsighted management writer is still so difficult to gauge.
- This bedrock U.S. manufacturing sector is facing consolidation, further cutbacks, and renewal.
- How to choose which units to cut and which to keep.
- Twelve strategies to shape a company’s destiny.
- Economic recovery in China, India, and elsewhere in the region could be the strongest source of sustained global growth for years to come.
- Though often missing, a formal operations strategy can guide the crucial decisions that build competitive advantage.
- The U.S. military’s elite training programs offer a model for the strategic deployment of human capital and for building effective teams.
- A leading proponent of natural capital valuation says we can build long-term prosperity by assigning prices to the ecosystems next door.
- When presented with options that evoke a measure of self-control, consumers may behave in a way that contradicts their goals.
- Companies should deliberately disrupt the normal flow of work at multiple levels, because it can lead to breakthroughs for the organization.
- In industries that offer necessary but often undesirable services, managers must strive to understand how their services affect the stress levels of their customers.
- After disasters, broker organizations can help corporations act quickly by matching corporate dollars to humanitarian need.
- Emotions can get in the way of rational decision making. Anger, in particular, can make employees increase their commitment to a failing plan.
Most Popular on s+b
- 1.Millennials Play the Long Game
- 2.20 Questions for Business Leaders
- 3.The Future of Management Is Teal
- 4.Aqua Culture
- 5.A Blueprint for Forays into Emerging Markets
- 6.Who Are Your High-Potential Employees?
- 7.The Key to Greece’s Recovery? Strategic Management
- 8.10 Principles of Change Management
- 9.Leaps in Perspective
- 10.Help, I Need Somebody (at the Office)