Issue 83, Summer 2016
- Strategy & LeadershipInteractiveTrack your chances of becoming a chief executive at one of the world’s largest companies, based on a study of incoming leaders.
- Operations & ManufacturingGlobal businesses are about to integrate their operations into a seamless digital whole, and thereby change the world.
- InnovationIntel’s Andy Grove pioneered high-stakes, high-speed, high-tech manufacturing — and breathed life into Moore’s Law.
- TechnologyCompanies everywhere pay too little attention to the implicit messages — about productivity, commitment, and capabilities — that are sent by their own software interfaces. See also "What Good User Experience Looks Like.”
- Global PerspectiveWinners, losers, and strategies in the new world economic order.
- TechnologyThe next generation of cybersecurity prevents attacks by monitoring online behavior — of intruders, customers, and everyone else. See also “How to Use Cybersecurity to Gain a Competitive Advantage.”
- Thought LeadersThe manufacturing chief describes how an industrial powerhouse founded in the 19th century is using software, sensors, and savvy to create a digital manufacturer that can thrive in the 21st century.
- Strategy & LeadershipWhy companies need directors with technological expertise.
- Global PerspectiveOn the world’s most diverse continent, companies need a deep understanding of local context.
- Global PerspectiveEven in wealthy countries, companies can play a vital role in disaster relief.
- Marketing, Media & SalesA new segmentation strategy can help sales teams identify their growth hot spots.
- Strategy & LeadershipA new survey identifies the top threats faced by company leaders.
- Global PerspectiveAn audacious effort to provide digital ID numbers throughout India illustrates the potential for large-scale change.
- InnovationAs they look to enhance digital capabilities through mergers and acquisitions, traditional companies have to heed a new set of dating rules.
Books in Brief
- s+b BlogsFinanceA new book describes how waves of shareholder activism have been altering the corporate landscape for nearly a century.
- s+b BlogsOrganizations & PeopleA new history of con artists finds that both scams and legitimate marketing appeal to the same set of human instincts.
- s+b BlogsTechnologyIn his new book, Douglas Rushkoff reacts to rising inequality and the threat of automation by proposing a new social operating system that distributes wealth more equitably.
- Business LiteratureMohamed A. El-Erian argues that the world’s masters of monetary policy have reached the peak of their ability to influence the course of the global economy.
- s+b BlogsDon’t let the performance of superstars distract you from the damage toxic employees inflict.